Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Classiest T-Shirt

Back when the blogathon first began, there was a series of natural disasters which struck the South. Dozens of people were killed and thousands of lives were changed by the tornadoes. In Ancient Greece, the only way you could respond to a tragedy of this magnitude was to offer a sacrifice to Zeus, Poseidon, or possibly Boreas and hope that the oracle saw good things coming your way. But luckily, in the modern age, you can buy a classy t-shirt instead. They are only $20 and the proceeds all go to the Red Cross.

Now for the cool part: this t-shirt (and t-shirt website) was designed by my friend and colleague Joanna Jones (whom I shall henceforth refer to as the JoBot). Now, while I was putting one foot in front of the other for two and a half hours last weekend, the JoBot was putting together an entire relief effort. They even have classy facebook badges and ways to pretty up your twitter (if only I tweeted). It blows my mind that I have friends who can do stuff like that.

Now, I'm going to go way out of my element and actually comment on fashion. This is for you, sassy fine readers. This is a classy t-shirt. It doesn't try to grad your attention with any flashy logos, crazy colors, or dudes riding a dinosaur (always a sign of high fashion), it just stands there and acts awesome. It's a nice basic color that would be real easy to accessorize to (if you are a fine honey) and won't show pizza grease that badly (if you are a dude). The simple logo means that the t-shirt can make a graceful transition to quilt form once you get tired of wearing it. Most importantly, the simple design means that less relief money is spent manufacturing the t-shirt and more money makes it to the hands of the Red Cross. Truly, this is the tuxedo/black dress of charity t-shirts.

On an unrelated note, I've spent an unusual amount of time lately talking about greater causes and charitable work. If this keeps up, people might start thinking I am a mature and socially responsible individual. I'd better start talking about video games and/or funny internet videos before I develop a reputation.

No comments: