Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Blogathon Day Nine: Oh Boy

So the next wave of donations has come through and it looks like the Blogathon will last at least 24 days (possibly 29 days if two people who made precise promises of donations follow through). I actually need to take some time and plan out some ideas for that many updates. It's a good problem to have but, in the short term, it means I don't have anything of substance to post tonight. So, instead, I'll leave you with five random facts which I may or may not flesh out into full blog posts at a later date.

1. Jake Locker could be this generation's Ryan Leaf. To be fair, he only has trouble hitting moving targets. If the NFL would adopt Pokemon-style rules and allow for turn-based tackling, then Locker could be the best QB ever.


2. The Panthers are trying their best to fill the suckiness void left by the Rams and Lions. Now, Cam Newton may not reach Ryan Leaf/JaMarcus Russell levels of horrible, but he represents a franchise succumbing to the hype and mismanaging themselves into a bottomless pit. I'll go into more detail on this later, but it seems like Carolina desperately wishes for Cam Newton to be the magic bullet that will make their team 12-4 again. Unfortunately, the time for needing one good quarterback has passed them. Now, they've spent their top two picks the last two years drafting quarterbacks and neither of them are the universally acclaimed, once in a generation talent called Andrew Luck (who the Panthers will likely be in a position to draft next year). Brief case study: during the early 2000's, the Lions took wide receiver after wide receiver and took other flashy picks that ended disastrously. The result was they became the first 0-16 team in league history in due time. Conversely, the Rams endured three years of having one of the top two picks in the draft, but took responsible non-flashy picks (i.e. linemen) before rolling the dice on Sam Bradford. The result was they became an overnight sensation and were one win away from the playoffs (albeit in the worst division of all time).

3. When I finish the blogathon, there will be approximately 20 posts for the month of May (and remember, only you can make it 31 posts). Last year, I went out of my way to make sure that I got at least one May update in so I could actually have one post ever written in May. Fate has a sense of irony after all.

4. When I went to McKay's in Knoxville, I bought five books: one on ancient warfare, two on the Crusades, and two Dave Barry books from the 80s. I believe all five should be classified as history books.

5. I'm still not tired of showing off my Music City Half Marathon Medal. Seriously. It is so very cool. The half marathon may have exhausted me and fouled up my sleep cycle for the better part of three months with no end in sight, but it has so been worth it. There's a 95% chance that I'm going to sign up for the Middle Half Marathon in October this week. Three months ago, I would have never imagined saying that.

No comments: