Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Weblog Origins: English Muffin Power Hour

One question that has dogged the English Muffin Power Hour since its founding was where on Earth I came up with the name for it. No, it wasn't a fever induced vision or because of my fondness for english muffins.



Delicious but Uninspiring

In order to tell the origins of the English Muffin Power Hour, I must first take you back to the mystical age of 2006, a time when texting was just beginning to take roots, Facebook was just another webpage, and people were wondering if Brett Favre was going to retire (the more things change, the more they stay the same). Bean (my unofficially adopted brother for those of you who don't have a dossier on me) and I had just seen a performance of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. My mom mentioned that Nashville Star was filmed on that stage. I declared that name to be uninspired and derivative of American Idol (which is fair, as the show is/was a derivative of American Idol). So Bean asks what I would name my television show. And the name just came to me: "The English Muffin Power Hour". I still plan on naming my hour-long tv show that if and when I get one.

Now, more specifically, the idea for blogging came to me at the start of 2008. Yes, I had a brief, disastrous foray into the blogosphere earlier. But that turned out just like the first English colony in the new world (which was Roanoke Island; it literally disappeared). So I decided that the English Muffin Power Hour would be my Jamestown (that is to say, a fortress settled on the first strip of useable land which turned out to be surrounded by swamps and everyone nearly starved the first winter). Two factors pushed me into it. The first was David Tyree's catch in the Super Bowl.


Still Awesome
The second factor was I decided to rise to a challenge and give up video games for Lent that year and I wanted something to put the extra time into. Given the infrequency of updates during that Lent, I think we can acquit video games on the charge of interfering with blogging.
One final note, I'm aware I kinda broke the chain of updates (and as Fleetwood Mac advises "We would never break the chain" because "chaaaaaaaaiiiin keeps us together/running in the shadows!"). However, I'd like to point out that I'm still posting waaaaaaay more often than I ever have before. So that's gotta be worth something. Also, I now occassionally include pictures.
P.S. Does anyone know a better way to post pictures on Blogger? Right now, the picture always goes to the top of the post. When I drag it to its appropriate place, it inevitably screws up the formatting.

1 comment:

Craig L Barry said...

4 weeks and no Power Hour blogs? Blah, take it away.