Saturday, September 10, 2011

Six Degrees of Internet Fame



Long time readers may expect me to post a funny video relating to video games and then call it a day. And 99 times out of 100, you would be right. But today, you're getting bonus blog. This video was made by internet celebrity, Tobuscus, who is now one of my readers thanks to a misunderstanding of cosmic proportions. In fact, the proportions are so cosmic that the misunderstanding has floated into the blogosphere.

Before I moved to Tennessee, I had the online alias "Egoraptor" because I love velociraptors and was also a Latin Nerd. Fact: Simply being in Latin does not make you a Latin Nerd, I had to push the second declension to a whole new place to get that title. Anyways, shortly after moving, my friend sent me an invite to a small, invite-only e-mail service, GMail (back before Google took over the world). Naturally, I picked Egoraptor as my screen name because that was the trend at the time.

Flash-forward six years to today at 12:30 Central Time, I get an email from Tobuscus, Internet Celebrity (which is what is printed on his business cards), asking me if I would animate a new video for him about Dead Island, a video game about zombies. Now, those of you who know me know that I can barely draw stick figures, much less animate anything. I knew I recognized the name Tobuscus from somewhere and about 15 seconds later I realized "It's the literal trailers guy!" and "so that's why his business card read Internet Celebrity". It turns out there's another Egoraptor out there, who is a reputable Flash animator. But I still got to see (or at least hear) the next Tobuscus video weeks before it would debut.

I explained things to Tobuscus, Internet Celebrity, and he laughed at the whole situation. He found it hysterical that the owner of Egoraptor@gmail.com would happen to be a fan of his work. Tobuscus also explained that if I revealed the location of the unreleased video, he would break my Internet Legs and toss me in the Online East River.

So everyone, visit his YouTube channel. Tobuscus, I hope you enjoy your time here at the English Muffin Power Hour and thank you for making the blog Second Degree Internet Famous. Fun Fact: Internet Celebrity is given to everyone whose videos aggregate over 200 million views. So I'm like 1/100,000th of the way there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Literal Trailers are the best!